CAA Manitoba President Tim Scott
What you need to know before hitting the road to celebrate Manitoba 150 this summer.
Summer weather is in the air and Manitoba is abuzz with excitement as 2020 marks 150 years since it became Canada's fifth province. Manitoba is the only province to have entered Confederation under the leadership of the Métis Nation, and its name comes from an Indigenous word meaning "Great Spirit."
Spirit will be felt across the province as Manitoba 150 supports initiatives and events that cultivate pride in Manitoba, foster a profound connection with our diverse cultures and, above all, unite us in celebration.
There is so much to do and see in honour of Manitoba's historic anniversary, and we highlight the very best of the celebrations of our Summer 2020 issue. But before you hit the road with family and friends to take in the festivities, we want you to be prepared.
Follow a few of our top tips to ensure a safe and successful road trip.
- Plan your route ahead of time and bring a paper map as a backup to your GPS or map apps.
- Check the weather forecast before you leave.
- Check the Road Cameras page on our website to see what highway conditions are like.
- Share your route and expected timing with someone back home.
- When driving long distances, give yourself plenty of breaks from driving and ensure you are well rested before you get behind the wheel.
- Try planning out your route ahead of time with our TripTik Travel Planner.
- Don't let your gas tank get below half full before you stop to refill.
- Check the latest gasoline prices in Manitoba using CAA's Gas Price Monitor at caa.ca/gas-prices.
- Check out automotive accessories that can help give you peace of mind on your road trip.
- Adhere to a maximum daily driving limit of 800 kilometres per day, with 15-minute breaks about every two hours.
At CAA Manitoba, we take great pride in our history as we celebrate over a century of operation in the Manitoba community. We've been an integral part of motoring history in Manitoba, from developing the first road map to marking highways to implementing road-safety programs. Although time and technology have changed, CAA Manitoba continues to always put member safety first.
We cherish the importance of celebrating the past and future of our province and our organization, thanks to loyal and dedicated members like you! Send your memories of CAA Manitoba, road trips and summer to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can't wait to read about your adventures.
Wishing you a safe and joyous season!