Great Battery Round Up 2016
Spring clean and be green! CAA Manitoba will recycle your used tires, car batteries and small batteries, and motor oil when you visit us at one the four garage locations on Saturday, April 23, or at FortWhyte Alive on Sunday, April 24.
Garage locations to drop off automotive products on Saturday, April 23 from 9 am to 3 pm:
Degagne Motors - 366 Marion St.
Fountain Tire - 827 Regent Ave.
Fountain Tire - 3020 Portage Ave.
Fountain Tire - 2716 Pembina Hwy
Members can see our electric vehicle and get a free battery test on Saturday when they drop something off!
Sunday April 24 at FortWhyte Alive, 1961 McCreary Rd., 9 am to 4 pm:
Recycle your automotive products with us and do your part for Earth Day.
What is Earth Day?
Earth Day is an annual event that takes place in April. Events are held worldwide to demonstrate support for environmental protection. The first Earth Day was held on April 22, 1970 and has since been adopted by over 192 countries worldwide.
Why does CAA Manitoba take part in Earth Day?
While CAA started as an auto club we have grown into so much more and we recognize the impact that vehicles have on the environment. We also understand that environmental awareness is something that is important to our Members and therefore it’s important to us!
Earth Day 2015
The Great Battery Roundup
Each year, CAA Manitoba hosts “The Great Battery Roundup” at our branches in celebration of Earth Day Canada. Members and non-Members alike can bring their old car batteries, motor oil and tires to be recycled at no cost to them. Since 2012, we have also included a drop-off depot at FortWhyte Alive.
Some 2013 highlights:
- Collected 96 tires
- Collected 89 batteries
- Collected 983 Litres of oil
To put that into perspective:
- Four litres of oil can contaminate four million litres of water, equal to about a year’s water supply for 50 people. This amount of oil kept enough water clean for 12,287 people for an entire year.
- Half a litre of oil can create a slick the size of a football field (Source)
- That means the amount of oil we collected in 2013 is equal to almost 2,000 football fields.
- A football field is 5,531 metres square
- Dauphin lake is 200 square miles
- Lake Winnipeg is 9,465 square miles
- Lake Manitoba is 1,785 square miles
- Lake superior is 31,700 square miles
- Manitoba is 250,900 square miles
- Africa is 11,700,000 square miles
- United states is 3,717,727 square miles
- Canada is 3,845,082 square miles
Since 2010, CAA Manitoba has collected:
2013 – 96 tires, 89 batteries, 983 L of oil
2012 – 2000 L of oil, 239 tires, 130 batteries
2011 – 75 batteries, 302 L of oil, 45 tires
2010 – 335 batteries
Tires: 380 tires
Batteries: 629 batteries
Oil: 3285 litres of oil