What you Need to Know when Buying Home Insurance


Contacting your CAA Manitoba Insurance Broker as soon as possible prior to the possession date of your home is important. Depending on the age of the home, more time to process insurance may be required. Insurance needs to be in place as soon as you become the legal owner of the property. Getting insurance is key to getting your dwelling keys.


Before lending money or completing the process of purchase, banks and mortgagee companies require proof of insurance in order to cover their investment. Also, home insurance packages include liability coverage which protects you against negligent acts.

Basic Dwelling Information

Year the dwelling was built, square footage and number of storeys, plus:

  • Type of heat
  • Type of plumbing
  • Square footage of any decks or porches
  • Name and address of lawyer and mortgagee
  • If there is a sump pump or back water valve? Any claims?
  • Garage – detached/attached and number of cars it can hold
  • Age and type of roof – asphalt, metal, tar and gravel, cedar shingles, etc.
  • Type of wiring and amperage service of the wiring. Circuit breaker or fuses
  • Exterior construction – aluminum, vinyl or wood siding, brick, stucco or stone


Most insurance companies provide package policies written as either Broad or Comprehensive coverage.

Broad Form

Provides All Risk coverage on the building which is subject to policy exclusions, limits and statutory conditions. Coverage would provide named perils coverage on the contents. Named perils usually includes the perils of smoke, windstorm/hail, impact by land vehicles or aircraft, fire or lightening, explosion, falling objects, theft, transportation, riot, vandalism and limited water damage.

Comprehensive Form

Provides All Risk coverage on both the building and the contents which is subject to policy exclusions, limit and statutory conditions.