Water Coverage Checklist
There are countless ways water can damage your property. Luckily, there are just as many ways to prevent it. Take a tour of your home to look for potential risk areas. Use the checklist below to help waterproof your own home.
- Inspect roof for signs of missing shingles, cracks or other damage.
- Inspect eavestroughs to see that they are not clogged or broken.
- Make sure downspouts are not clogged, are directed into the weeping tiles or main sewer lines and pull water far enough from the house.
- Check windows/doors for signs of leakage.
- Inspect appliances regularly.
- Watch water bill for sudden jumps.
- Check walls to make sure no moisture is detectable.
- Install flood shields on all basement windows above ground level.
- Replaces hoses as needed.
- Confirm that any exposed pipes are insulated.
- Ensure that you have proper shut off valves.
- Have backflow valves installed by professionals to prevent sewage backups.
- Check foundation for any cracks.
- Ensure the grading around the yard slopes away from your home.